Can Blogging Help Your Job Search?
Social media and blogging websites are a great way to create an online presence for yourself. Whether it’s through Facebook, LinkedIn, WordPress or any other platform, keeping a blog is an effective way to have an online portfolio of your information and timeline of events. It can also make it easier for potential employers to find out a bit more about you and what you have to offer.
It’s becoming more common for jobseekers to use blogs and create websites to help market themselves, their skills and their brand. An updated and well-built site can be a great tool when trying to get noticed by the right people, however before you create an online presence for yourself, it’s important to know what type of blog you’d like to have. For example:
- Professional blog
- Niche blog
- Personal blog
- Creative blog
- Business blog
When potential employers receive your CV, they will most likely search for you on the Internet, and if you’ve included a blog or website on it, you can be sure it’s going to be clicked on. This means it’s very important to keep all the information up to date and your blog looking good.
Keeping a well-designed blog can be a great opportunity to showcase your skills and enthusiasm, highlighting points such as:
- Self motivation
- Knowledge of specific field or area
- Ability to create written dialogue and engage with people
- Able to write creatively on relevant subjects
How to Set Up a Blog
There are many sites to use when setting up your own blog, such as WordPress, Wix, and Blogger, which are simple and easy to use. We’ve put together a few tips on how to build your profile and keep it looking professional.
- Make sure all the information you write is accurate and reads well
- Blog about what you know and are sure of
- Set up social media accounts and link them to your blog
- Keep the material you write more professional than social
- Comment on, share and stay up to date with recent trends in your chosen profession
- Avoid negative blogs, especially about companies or people
- Use simple and professional looking colours and fonts; keeping the readability good can be key.
It’s also a good idea to search for you blog from a different computer/smart device, so that you can see how it looks from a potential employers view.
Good luck and let us know if you have any blogging tips of your own!